Friday, February 13, 2009

Aloha Friday

Photobucket

Over at Kilani's blog she started the Aloha Friday, in honor of in Hawaii, Aloha Friday is the day that they take it easy and look forward to the weekend. So she thought that on Fridays she would take it easy on posting, too. I thought this is a great idea so therefore, I’ll ask a simple question for you to answer. Nothing that requires a lengthy response.

With all the warm weather and rain -all our snow melted and gave way to a wonderful surprise yesterday afternoon. Water in our basement!! So here is my simple question to you, since we have been wet vac-ing, sweeping, fanning and holding a vigil over our sump pump and praying that the water wont get back in our basement. . .

Have you ever had water/flood in your basement.. and in that time what did you do to get the water out or to solve the problem from happening again. AND did you find that water in the basement leads to a stressful situation for all those involved??

I think we need a new sump pump because it doesnt seem to be triggering to release the water. But we are working with this one right now.. so anyone have any suggestions or insight.

Have a great Friday!!

15 comments:

janetfaye said...

It happened to me one year and it was very stressful. My son had to get something to pump it all out.

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Water in the basement! We moved into this home in 2006. In May 2006 they had several days of downpour and the water table here is high to begin with and yes, lots of water in the basement. We had the sewer line open to let the water drain into it and that kept the water level down to 3 inches. We just kept our cool and went about getting the water towards the drain. It didn't help either that the bulkhead door is not secured to the foundation so we had dirt/mud coming in as well! Whew!

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

We only have a little trickle that comes in by one window. We never get a flood, more just a wet floor. It runs toward the drain by the washer and dryer. What a pain, especially when worms work their way in.

Anything like this proves to be stressful, because it is a huge job, and it is on top of everything which you normally do!! (baby care, jobs, housework, meal prep...) Also it can be a very tiring process.

Good luck, and hopefully things are under control.

Unknown said...

I dont have a basement wish I had some words of wisdom for you

Beth @ TheAngelForever said...

Yes, we have had issues with water. The city's lines often back up and we get a flood that often includes sewage in our basement. We have found that by snaking our pipes it often stops it from happening. We have a dehumidifier in the basement that needs to be replaced, but we keep one on all spring and summer. Good luck with yours, I know just how stressful it can be.

Nina said...

My house is 100 years old and always has water in it. We have a pump and it works over time when it rains. We don't use our basement for anything because we can't stop the water or get rid of it.
Sorry!!! I wish I was more help.

Anonymous said...

I've never experienced water in the basement (knock on wood!). Good luck getting it taken care of!

sues2u2 said...

When I was 12 we moved into this brand new house & yes, the water litteraly Poured into the basement twice. The rest of the time we'd just have wet carpets until my dad went through & caulked everything when it dried. Plus he took replaced the little metal things that hold back the dirt out of the window well & took extra dirt out. Oh & he also put plastic covers over the window well.

I wish you all the best. I know how frustrating this is. It was always MY room that got hit! Good luck.

annies home said...

rather common problem here we actually had a sump pump installed because of that problem

Tim said...

I hate water in the basement. We have somewhat of a stream that runs under the house. If we were not on a hill, we would probably have to stick oars out our windows.

Qtpies7 said...

Yes, we had a flood in our basement July 4th, 1995. It was NOT fun. The landlord had tiled his fields to drain toward the house! There was no preventing. He had to replace the furnace, but that was his own fault. Idiot.

Anonymous said...

That sounds tough. It has never happened to me, but I know several people who have had to deal with it - and it is never easy and almost always stressful! Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Water in the basement is always a stressful occurrence. We have a sump pump too and I check it all the time to make sure it's working. We also have a floor drain just in case.

Cathi said...

Not many basements in Southern California.

Kris said...

I am thankful I have not exprienced that yet.