Wednesday, July 1, 2009


Thirty. 30. Last Saturday I turned 30 years old. I did not expect to be sentimental about this milestone. But when it happened, and everyone kept telling me how to look back upon my last 30 years and review what you have done, I was impressed. I thought about my life as a youngster - learning, playing and having fun. I thought of my 20s and how impressive of a decade that was - complete a university program, get my first job, get married, move to the US, get another job, buy your first home, and become a mother - all in really 7 years. This not even mentioning all the trips Ryan and I took since we got married. This has left me wondering - how can the 30's stack up to the 20's. So we will have to see.

Anyways, as a real treat - I had my birthday weekend off. This was super as Ryan and I got to spend some quality time together with our baby doll Lyla. And, it also meant that I got 2 days of birthday celebrations rather than just one.

So, first thing Saturday morning we had a great breakfast - bacon and eggs and toast. Then we headed up to Romeo to Blakes Cider Mill to pick some strawberries. This would be Lyla's first time to the strawberry patch. She hated the car ride there but once we got there and she was able to get out and roam around she was happy. She even tried a couple of strawberries. I think she thought the strawberries were all little balls - which she loves.

Tasting the fresh strawberries.. Yummy! One in each hand! Typical Lyla!

If you look close enough in this picture - Lyla has a piece of straw in her mouth. A true farmer!

Birthday kisses for Mama!

A happy girl who is not in the car!

In the afternoon, we all went for a 'swim' in Lyla's little pool. For dinner, Ryan had gotten me a Baskin Robbins cake - yummy. It was so cute - it said 'Happy Birthday Mama'.

The next morning, we got ready and headed out to Kruse and Muer for their famous Sunday Morning Brunch. This would be Lyla's first time at a Restaurant and again - she was excellent. We were there for 1 hour 4o minutes and for the last 30 minutes she wanted out of the high chair and wanted to walk around - which was fine. She ate some of the home style biscuit, cheese, apple pieces, and some pancake. She had already had her breakfast before we came - so this was all munchy food for her. The food was unbelievable. Definitely one of the best brunches I had ever been at. SO good!

When we got home, I wanted to get a picture of Lyla in her nice dress that Nana and Papa gave her for her birthday so they could see her in it. Lyla had other plans.... the POOL. So, most of my pictures are with her at the pool trying to convince us to let her in.
We tried to take some pictures with Lyla in the garden. But she still had the pool on her mind.
After brunch, we all came home and went to sleep - Ryan and I fell into a food induced coma and Lyla had a great nap. We got up and headed out to the Zoo for a couple hours. It was pretty busy there but it was fun to get out and have Lyla see the animals.

In the Artic Ring, there were seals swimming over head. Here are a couple of pictures of Lyla noticing the seal swimming over head.

All in all, it was a great 30th birthday weekend. Here's to the next 60 years!


Gramma and Grampa said...

Kelly We are so glad you had a nice Birthday Weekend with your family. It looked like everyone had a great time. You deserved to have a great weekend.

Love Always Gramma and Grampa

pam said...

Looks like a wonderful birthday celebration, just as you wanted!

Happy Birthday!!