Wednesday, December 20, 2006

4 years ago, on this day . . .

Four years ago, I was 23 years old.
Four years ago, I lived in Canada.
Four years ago, I had only one niece.
Four years ago, I lived in the same city as my brother.
Four years ago, I was a student at Queen's University.
Four years ago, I finishing my last fall semester ever.
Four years ago, there was snow on the ground.
Four years ago, I did not have a job.
Four years ago, I did not own a car.
Four years ago, I rented a room in a house.

Four years ago, on this day, my life changed forever.
Four years ago today, I got engaged.



This is a picture of Ryan and I in the spot where Ryan proposed to me.
This was taken after we have been married when returned the following year to Kingston for Homecoming.

On December 20th, 2002, we were getting ready to go home for our Christmas Holidays. At that time, Ryan owned a 1994 Blue VW golf. We had the car loaded down with presents and I decided that we needed to go do laundry that night because our laundry would not fit in the car. As a side note, I had gone out with my girlfriends the night before to celebrate our final -last ever- university exams. So, I was a little slow myself that day.
Anyways, Ryan got home from work and he said he had to go back because he had forgotten his shoes. At this time, Ryan was working on campus. I insisted that we go and do laundry instead because we needed to get our clothes cleaned before we went home. Ryan was hesitant, but I was not giving in.
You see, Ryan had wanted to take me to the spot that we had our first kiss, which was by his work. But I had thrown a wrench into his plans. Instead, he asked if I would like to go for a walk through the park filled with snow and decorated with lots of lights. I thought that would be great. I had noticed that Ryan had been pacing around the house while he talked to me. I even remember telling him to sit down, because I couldn't keep up to his pacing. Looking back, I now see how nervous he was.
So we went to the laundry first, put a load in, and walked over to the park across the road. We were walking around enjoying the lights, I went to go hug Ryan and before I knew it, he was down on one knee in the snow. Boy, was I surprised. Here I was in track pants, bundled up in a coat, not a clue that this was going to happen. He sure kept this a surprise. After saying yes, we ran home and made the phone calls to everyone. Both of our parents were waiting for the call, because Ryan had told them both it was going to happen.
That was one of the best nights of my life. We celebrated with take out from Swiss Chalet, the "Festive special". I still remember waking up the next morning and walking over to my jewelry box and looking in to find this new shiny ring. The ring of my dreams. I couldn't believe it had happened.

No comments: