Friday, February 9, 2007

Healthy Lifestyles

Yesterday I went out to Meijer and blew my monthly budget for groceries. This was not my plan or my goal. Rather, I wanted to buy healthy food, and it seems that healthy food is expensive and does not achieve sale price status. We found out that Ryan's cholesterol is marginally elevated, enough to make some lifestyle changes. So for the next 6 months, we are going to suck it up and eat all those things that don't really appeal to us. That would include fish. I bought Salmon steaks - ugh, and I am not looking forward to that night. But I will smile and eat it. Last night I made Eggplant Parmigiana and it was pretty good. 0 Cholesterol, 2 grams of fat per serving and 150 calories per serving. Very healthy. I made it with tofu and it tasted pretty good.
I was wondering as I was reading all the labels in the grocery store yesterday why it is that all the fast, throw in the oven, fattening foods were on sale? Why wouldn't the companies that produce goods accredited with the American Heart Association for a healthy heart market their goods as a sale item? Is it that it is cheaper to buy unhealthy foods, easier to promote these quick meal- boxed goods to the general public? The spin off is that people may not realize is that you may have medical expenses in the future due to your choices made in the grocery store isle.
The other thing that is annoying is that healthy food choices are much harder to find in an American grocery store as compared to a Canadian grocery store. We found this out as soon as we moved here. We really miss Loblaws and their "Blue Label" line of foods. There is no such line here, rather you have to dig your way through the shelves reading all the labels before you buy. That is one thing I truly miss about Canada.
Anyways, if anyone has any good low fat, low cholesterol recipes send them my way as we would greatly appreciate it. As well as anything good to do with these Salmon steaks to hide the fishy taste??

No comments: