Friday, March 2, 2007

Old friends, new friends, and the life friend

The addiction of facebook has hit me. This website is crazy addicting. When I first got the emails that someone wanted me to be a member on this site I didn't really know what it was, but now I have been enjoying finding some of my old friends that I haven't seen or heard of in many years.

There is something comforting about an "old friend". Those friends that you shared 5 years of your day to day life with during your adolescent years. For me, my high school friends are probably the closest group of friends that I have. I keep in touch with some of the girl friends through their blogs (by the way another great invention), we have a yearly Christmas get together at Patti's and we just start off where we have left. Our relationships are true and sincere and I love seeing them. I wish that I could see them more often. You guys wanna come over sometime for a girls retreat??

Then there are the group of friends who you shared your young adulthood with. The people who you lived with in your first home away from homes, your University friends. Now this is a group of friends that I shared many late nights dancing and laughing uncontrollably. Many late night study trips to the library, and just time spent living together in our own rental student house in the ghetto. I must admit that I have lost track of many of these friends but this facebook thingy has allowed me to find some of these old friends. A lot of our friends live in Toronto and they have seem to still socialize together so we do hear about them, but not much from them. This does make me sad. We are getting ready for Ryan's 5 year reunion this fall at University so, hopefully we will rekindle some old friendships during this weekend.

Since moving to a new country, we have found it very hard to make new friends. Michigan is a very family oriented state. Most people don't go far from home when they move out of their childhood homes, so family and high school friends make a large circle of friends for people. We joined a softball league in hopes of making friends which didn't happen. We often go to church, but the congregations are so large that no one realizes that we are newcomers, so we haven't meet people that way. And to top it all off, we do travel home very frequently so we maybe aren't available to meet and spend time with new people. So that is something I want to work at - making more new friends.

Then there is your life friend, your life partner, your husband/wife. For me Ryan was a great friend before we even started to date. We has become close friends where we would hang out and enjoy each others company before we even thought of each other in any significance. Ryan is definitely my best friend. He knows me inside out and without him I would be lost. I am so thankful for my friendship in Ryan in which we will grow together in our life journey.

Here is one of my favorite friendship quotes. I actually used this in my high school graduation blurb in the yearbook, and then it was used in relation to Ryan and I on our wedding day;

"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

No comments: